Edward “Ed” Blizzard has over 30 years of legal experience and has been named a member of both the Million Dollar Advocates and the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forums. He is Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, a distinction granted to less than 10% of lawyers.
His participation in the legal community includes serving on the Board of Governors for the American Association for Justice, as well as membership in the Texas Trial Lawyers Association and the Houston Bar Association. He has been named to the Litigation Counsel of America, a position only appointed through invitation, as well as the American Board of Trial Advocates. He has been named among The Best Lawyers in America and was listed as a Texas SuperLawyer in 2004 and 2008 through 2014.
After graduating with honors from the University of Texas at Austin with his Bachelor of Arts in Government, Mr. Blizzard attended Baylor Law School. During his studies there, he was inducted into the Order of Barristers, a prestigious legal honor society, and also participated as a finalist in the Baylor Mock Trial competition. He graduated with his Juris Doctorate cum laude in 1978 and gained his license to practice law in Texas that same year. He is currently licensed to appear before the U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of Texas, the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals, and the U.S. Supreme Court. In addition, has appeared pro hac vice before the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey, the U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York, and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Superior Court.
Following three years of litigation at Fulbright & Jaworski, LLP, Mr. Blizzard joined with Scott Nabers to found Blizzard & Nabers, where they have aggressively pursued personal injury claims for over 30 years. He devotes his time to both pharmaceutical and medical device litigation.
When not in the office, Mr. Blizzard enjoys encouraging his daughter, Anna, who is now a practicing attorney. He also loves to play golf in his free time.
Litigation Leadership Positions
- Appointed to the Plaintiff’s Steering Committee, MDL No. 2342, In Re: Zoloft (Sertraline Hydrochloride) Products Liability Litigation; in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, by the Hon. Judge Cynthia M. Rufe.
- Appointed to the Plaintiff’s Steering Committee, MDL No. 2187, In Re: C.R. Bard, Inc., Pelvic Repair System Products Liability Litigation, in the United States District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia, by the Hon. Judge Joseph R. Goodwin.
- Appointed to the Plaintiff’s Steering Committee, MDL Docket No. 1:10 md 2197, In Re: DePuy Orthopaedics, Inc. ASR Hip Implant Products; in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio, by the Hon. Judge David A. Katz.
- Appointed to the 5-member Committee to negotiate $1.2 billion settlement in MDL 1401, In Re: Sulzer Orthopedics Inc. Hip Prosthesis and Knee Prosthesis Liability, in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio, by the Hon. Judge Kathleen O’Malley.
- Testified at the Fairness Hearing in support of the Settlement
- Took most of the depositions of the corporate witnesses that were used in the only Sulzer case tried to verdict.
- Appointed to the 6-member Negotiation Plaintiff’s Committee, MDL 1657, In Re: Vioxx Products Liability Litigation, in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana, by the Hon. Judge Fallon.
- The NPC successfully negotiated the $4.85 billion settlement with Merck after over a year of settlement talks.
- Appointed to the 9 person Fee Allocation Committee, responsible for making recommendations to Judge Fallon about the allocation of common benefit fees.
- Tried one of the MDL Vioxx cases before Judge Fallon.
- Chair of the Plaintiff’s Steering Committee, MDL 1598, In Re: Ephedra Products Liability Litigation, United States District Court for the Southern District of New York.
- Took the depositions of the majority of corporate witnesses from the various companies that sold Ephedra containing products.
- Tried one of only a couple of Ephedra cases which went to trial.
- Member of the Texas State Court Steering Committee, Silicone Breast Implant Litigation.
- Took many of the key corporate witness depositions.
- Served as co-counsel in the trial of 2 cases.
- Selected by the Tort Claimants Committee to be the tort lawyer to the Committee after Dow Corning filed for bankruptcy protection
- Served as one of the chief negotiators of the $3 billion Dow Corning Settlement.
- Steering Committee Member, MDL 1203, In Re: Diet Drugs (Phentermine, Fenfluramine, Dexfenfluramine) Products Liability Litigation, United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
- Took a number of the key corporate witness depositions. The depositions were played at trial in virtually every Fen-Phen case that tried the liability issue.
- Personally tried several Fen-Phen cases.
- Served as liaison counsel, Paxil Mass Tort Program in Philadelphia, PA.
- Took many of the key corporate witness depositions, and substantially all of the Paxil birth defect cases have settled.
- Appointed to Plaintiffs Steering Committee, MDL 1968, In Re: Digitek Products Liability Litigation, United States District Court Southern District of West Virginia, by the Hon. Judge Joseph R. Goodwin
- Took the depositions of most of the senior executives of the Defendant, Actavis. One cases was selected as the number one trial pick and it was the only case that Actavis settled prior to entering into a global settlement.
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- American Association for Justice
- Board of Governors
- Leaders Forum
- Houston Bar Association
- Litigation Counsel of America
- Texas Bar Association
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association
Publications and Speaking Engagements:
- Panel Speaker at Mass Torts Conference Houston, October 2014
- Panel Moderator for Metal-On-Metal Hip Implants, TTLA – 2nd Annual Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Seminar, April 2014
- “The Battles That Win the Wars: Settlement Strategies”, Mass Torts Made Perfect, April 2013
- “Birth Defect Litigation Updates”, Zoloft and Birth Defects Litigation Conference, July 2012
- “Ethical Consideration in the Settlement of SSRI Birth Defect Cases”, Mass Torts Made Perfect, September 2011
- “Understanding the SSRI’s Involved in Causing Birth Defects”, “Birth Defect and Zimmer Litigation”, Mass Torts Made Perfect, May 2011
- “Deconstructing the U.S. Supreme Court’s Decision on Preemption in Wyeth v. Levine”, American Association for Justice Teleseminar, March 2009
- “Hot Topics in Pharmaceutical & Medical Device Litigation”, American Association for Justice Faculty Seminar, September 2008
- “Pushing Cases in Litigation to Achieve Resolution”, American Association for Justice, June 2008
- “Winning in Depositions: Victory through Killer Depositions”, American Association for Justice, February 2008
- “Vioxx: An Overview and Maneuvering Through the Settlement Process”, American Association for Justice San Juan Winter Convention, January 2008